A 7 day tour. Arriving to Antalya, departing to Adana. This tour includes one of the rarest Western Palearctic birds, the Brown Fish Owl.
Other highlights include White-throated Robin, Krüper’s Nuthatch in Antalya, Caspian Snowcock, Radde’s Accentor and Crimson-winged Finch of Taurus mountains; and Graceful Prinia, Black Francolin of the East Mediterranean wetlands.
- Flight to Antalya
- Brown Fish Owl, Akseki area
- Akseki area and Central Plateau
- Sultan Marshes
- Tuzla and Flight from Adana
Day 1 Arrival
Arrive to Antalya. Transfer to the hotel in Manavgat, near Side river. First birding in the afternoon near the hotel. We will look for Graceful Prinia, Cattle Egret, White-spectacled Bulbul, Roller, Scops Owl.
Day 2 Brown Fish Owl and Akseki
Dawn start for for specially chartered boat trip to seek Brown Fish Owl. Brown Fish Owl is one of the rarest Western Palaearctic species, recently rediscovered in Southern Turkey in 2002. There are about 12 sites. Most of them are kept in secret not to cause disturbance by visiting birders. However the Oymapınar Damlake provides an excellent opportunity.
We will be on tourist boats that run tours for ordinary tourist during day hours and for birders very early in the morning. We will visit two or three territories where the owl have been breeding since 2005. The birds will not be afraid of the boat and this will bring excellent opportunities to watch them.
Thereafter birding in general area and en route to Akseki. Birding in the Mediterranean Scrub for Olive-tree Warbler, Masked Shrike, Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Ruppel’s Warbler. Night in Akseki.
Day 3 Akseki and driving through the Steppe
We will visit three different sites near Akseki to look for Cretzschmar’s Bunting, Western Rock Nuthatch, Krüper’s Nuthatch, Crimson-winged Finch, Red-fronted Serin, Alpine Chough, Masked Shrike.
In the afternoon we will depart for a 4 hour drive to Ereğli. On route we will look for Greater Short-toed Lark, Calandra Lark, Lesser Kestrel, Isabelline Wheatear, Long-eared Owl, Greater Spotted Cuckoo. Overnight in Ereğli.
Days 4 Ereğli and Sultan Marshes
We will drive to Sultan Marshes in the morning where we will look around the National Park Visitors’ Center for Black-winged Stilt, Spur-winged Plover, Purple Heron, Squacco Heron, White-winged Tern. We will be walking on the paved platform into the reedbeds to see Bearded Reedling, Moustached Warbler, White-headed Duck, Ferruginous Duck, Red-crested Pochard.
During lunch at Sultan Pension, we might get Penduline Tit, Long-eared Owl and Little Owl around the house. In the afternoon we will visit other parts and look for Gull-billled Tern, Egyptian Vulture, Whiskered Tern, Armenian Gull, Spoonbill and Glossy Ibis.
We will stay at Sultan Pension near Sultan Marshes.
Day 5 Sultan Marshes and Aladaglar
Early in the morning we will explore the northern shores of Sultan MArshes and look for Greater Sand Plover, Greater Flamingo and Slender-billed Gull. Near Yahyalı we will visit a site for Upchers Warbler and White-throated Robin. We will have lunch at Yahyalı.
In the afternoon we will drive to Aladaglar and visit some valleys. We will stay the night in Camardi, Safak Pension.
Day 6 Aladağlar, Demirkazık
Today we will make a very early start at 04:30 AM for exceptional birdwatching. We will decent on a tractor from 1400 m to 2500 m, to look for Caspian Snowcock singing at dawn. We shall watch out for Radde’s Accentor, Crimson-winged Finch, Alpine Accentor, Red-fronted Serin and Chukars. Wallcreeper, White-winged Snowfinch, Alpine Chough, Red-billed Chough, Finsch’s Wheatear, Lammergeier and Golden Eagle are among the local specialties. If anybody wishes, we can get down from a spectacular deep gorge by walking from mountaineer’s path. Need to be good health to do that.
During lunch we will look for Rose-colored Starling and Olivaceous Warbler in the orchards and Dipper on the stream. In the afternoon we will walk another Emli valley to look for Lammergeier, Chukar, Blue Rock Thrush, Red-billed Chouch, Red-fronted Serin, Eastern Orphean Warbler, Rock Nuthatch, Wallcreeper and other species we have missed along the way. At night we might look for a Scops Owl with a torch light.
Day 7 Tuzla and return
In the morning we wll visit other sites at Aladağlar to make our best to get our target species. In late morning we will depart to Adana and we will get lunch at the Pozantı Pass, where we can encountre the migration of Honey Buzzard, Lesser Spotted Eagle and White Stork.
In the early afternoon, we will quickly visit Seyhan river as a part of Wetlands on the Adana Coastland. On the river we will look for White-breasted and Pied Kingfisher, Pygmy Cormorant, Cattle Egret, Black Francolin and Rufous Bush Robin. Around the river we might get Little Bittern, Great Reed Warbler, Spur-winged Plover and Graceful Prinia. Finally when we get to Adana airport, we will check for Spanish Sparrow and Pallid Swift, nesting on the tower of the airport. We will take our flight to Istanbul airport where we can connect also to international flights.
List of Interesting Species:
- Pygmy Cormorant Phalacrocorax pygmeus
- Great White Pelican Pelecanus onocrotalus
- Dalmatian Pelican Pelecanus crispus
- Ruddy Shelduck Tadorna ferruginea
- Levant Sparrowhawk Accipiter brevipes
- Steppe Eagle Aquila nipalensis
- Caspian Snowcock Tetraogallus caspius
- Chukar Alectoris chukar
- Black Francolin Francolinus francolinus
- Greater Sand-Plover Charadrius leschenaultii
- Spur-winged Lapwing Vanellus spinosus
- Armenian Gull Larus armenicus
- Laughing Dove Stigmatopelia senegalensis
- White-throated Kingfisher Halcyon smyrnensis
- Pied Kingfisher Ceryle rudis
- Syrian Woodpecker Dendrocopos syriacus
- Bimaculated Lark Melanocorypha bimaculata
- White-spectacled Bulbul Pycnonotus xanthopygos
- Eastern Olivaceous Warbler Hippolais pallida
- Upcher’s Warbler Hippolais languida
- Olive-tree Warbler Hippolais olivetorum
- Rueppell’s Warbler Sylvia rueppelli
- White-throated Robin Irania gutturalis
- Isabelline Wheatear Oenanthe isabellina
- Finsch’s Wheatear Oenanthe finschii
- Krueper’s Nuthatch Sitta krueperi
- Rock Nuthatch Sitta neumayer
- Masked Shrike Lanius nubicus
- Fire-fronted Serin Serinus pusillus
- Crimson-winged Finch Rhodopechys sanguineus
- Cretzschmar’s Bunting Emberiza caesia
- Black-headed Bunting Emberiza melanocephala